25 Lessons I've Learned over a #quarterofacentury
WOW! I can’t believe it. Today I turn 25 years old! Which means I am 5 years away from being 30… Yikes!
It seems like yesterday I was trying to use my sisters ID to get into the local Greensboro clubs, and now I’m a quarter century! Whew. They always say to never rush your childhood because once you get older there is no turning back. As I sit and reminisce over the past 25 years of my life, all I can do is smile and say “Wow, Thank you God!” Like most people, I can honestly say that certain parts of my life could very well make a Lifetime movie.
From learning how to be confident in myself as a Black woman, to learning how to deal with the opposite sex in relationships and ultimately knowing my worth. From losing fake friends and gaining true ones, to learning how to politic in corporate America; The list of life lessons that I have learned through the years is endless. While going through the mess, I can say I felt as if it was the end of the world, but now looking back on it all, my life motto stands true:
“Everything happens for a reason!”
All of the things that I have encountered in my life have made me into the woman you see today. I no longer use my words to hurt people, instead I use them to inspire and uplift. I no longer dwell on what I don’t have, instead I embrace what I was given. I no longer surround myself with negativity, instead I make sure that my circle eludes positive vibes only.
At first, I wasn’t really excited to celebrate my 25th birthday. Since I’m trying to save for a big move, I didn’t have any major plans in place. I wasn’t going out of the country with a bae or going to Miami with the girls (the top 2 things most girls do for their 25th). Instead, I decided to remain local in my hometown, Charlotte, NC. I can’t lie, as the time started to draw closer and closer, I started to get upset with myself for not planning to do something major, but then I remembered one of my life lessons, make do with what you have! I decided I would do something intimate with a few friends and family and instead of making it all about me (because I hate attention), I would celebrate them! I am having a brunch and gifting them with a token of my appreciation.
I am blessed to have some pretty awesome people in my circle! They have been there through the breakups, the makeups, the breakdowns and the breakthroughs. Most recently they have been my support system in all my entrepreneurial endeavors. For both inspiredbykrs to 91+N, they have supported me in so many ways that I can’t thank them enough. It means a lot when you can have friends who believe in you as much as you believe in yourself. They are all truly amazing and I am thankful to have them in my life.
The point of this post is not to get mushy *Takes a breath*. Instead I am here to share 25 things I’ve learned over my 25 years.. So, here it goes:
1. Building a relationship with God is key, he is the answer to EVERYTHING.
2. Cherish your family and make scrapbook memories.
3. Eliminate all negativity, positive vibes only.
4. Live life with no regrets, you only have one.
5. Save, Save, Save before it’s too late!
6. Work harder than your competition, period.
7. Don’t sweat the small things, they're small for a reason.
8. Never doubt your woman's intuition.
9. Find a passion and get lost in it, it will pay off!
10. Know your worth and value it!
11. Surround yourself with like-minded people.
12. Know your limit, drink in moderation and on a full stomach.
13. Smile often, especially if your parents paid for braces.
14. Try everything, at least once.
15. Don’t be afraid to do things alone, you learn more about yourself that way.
16. If you don’t understand, ask questions.
17. Kill your enemies with kindness, seriously, it works.
18. Pay attention to your body and when things change take note.
19. Voice your opinion when you have one, don’t be afraid.
20. Fall in love with who God created you to be.
21. Build your network, so you can build your net worth.
22. If it doesn’t work the first time try again, and again, and again!
23. It’s okay to cry, just don’t do it for long.
24. Think before you react in any situation.
25. Understand that everything happens for a reason!
I hope you can benefit from the things I shared above. I could probably list hundreds more but for the sake of time, I won’t! This next year, I plan to fully invest in myself in all aspects of my life. I want to get more involved with church, live a healthier lifestyle, and most importantly I want to become a true business Woman. If you have been on this journey with me in regards to my brand inspiredbykrys you can see that I have switched gears. I am more focused and driven than I’ve been in a while and I love it! My prayer is that I reach my goals and I know that with the help of God, my family, friends, and supportive followers it will happen! 25 is about to be live yall, and I hope you all are ready for the ride! Till next time!
Behind The Scenes
Special Thanks to my girls Tye and Graham for helping me bring my vision to life!